Re: SystemTap questions: user/kernel communication & pass compiilation options to module build

Dave Nomura <dcnltc@us.ibm.com> writes:

> 1. is there any SystemTap mechanism that would allow a user program
> [...]

It's probably time to implement this old feature:
  http://sourceware.org/PR1154
Communicating specifically with the "stap -c CMD" child could be built
on top of that.

> 2.  is there any way to pass options to the compilation of the
> SystemTap generated module code?  I was thinking that this would allow
> me to pass a library of kernel driver support routines that might
> otherwise live in SystemTaps runtimes/ directory.  Another use might
> be to pass -D define options.

You can already pass -D options.  If you want to include libraries of
embedded-C code, you can put it into a private tapset file, and cause
it to be pulled into the script compilation somehow.  Chances are you
will want to make some functions that are callable from script.  See
the tutorial <http://sourceware.org/systemtap/tutorial/node18.html>,
and realize that the embedded-C code can go into a separate file that
systemtap would search (see the -I option).