Re: utrace-based uprobes

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 04:46:42PM -0700, Keshavamurthy, Anil S wrote:

> > > What do these undesirable results include
> >
> > Returning to the wrong address.  For example, if A calls B, and you have
> > uretprobes on both A and B, and B longjmps back into A, B's return
> > address will be left atop that task's stack of return addresses.  So
> > when A returns, it'll return using B's return address.
>
> Isn't the behavior the same even without the return probes
> inserted on A and B?
Ha..now I see why you are having issues, can't you save rsp or esp too
when you first enter the function in prepare_kretprobe, and in the
trampoline handler instead of blindly assuming that the first instance
to contain the real address, you can instead check for rsp or esp too
to make sure you are replacing the real return address. This solution
should work for i386 and x86-64 but I doubt that this will work for
ia64 or ppc64. Hey, If this works for i386, why not go and implement it...

-Anil