Re: is systemtap's language more complicated than needed.

[snip]
Perhaps, though we would be saving just two tokens ("." and "function"
/ "statement" / ...) for each such shorthand use.  Or one could save
typing effort by supporting explicit abbreviations like "k.stmt(...)"
for "kernel.statement(...)".

and make the thing even harder to read? I hope this isn't the case. I started this thread because of readability not the length of the files.

while we are talking about shortening things I did see one other
change to the language, currently  there is  kernel.syscall  probes
this should be shortened to syscall because there won't be userland
syscalls we will be monitoring correct?

James

'