Re: Anyone tried SystemTap with the latest RHEL5 Beta refresh

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

Badari Pulavarty <pbadari@gmail.com> writes:

[...]
Okay, I just tried it on my x86_64 RHEL5 Beta machine
(2.6.18-1.2714.el5) ..

# stap iostp.stp
semantic error: probe point mismatch at position 1 (alternatives: end
submit)
while: resolving probe point ioblock.request
semantic error: libdwfl failure (dwfl_linux_kernel_report_kernel): No
such file or directory
Ensure kernel debuginfo is installed
[...]

The key line is right there.

Frank,

Badari is playing the role of a customer. His point of view is, i have stock RHEL 5 setup, i have not made any changes to the setup and trying to use systemtap and i expect it to have all the pieces needed as part of the default install and it should work just out of the box and it doesn't work as reported by him. I agree with his point of view that customers shouldn't be asked to jump through hoops for systemtap to work, any additional hurdle or setup they have to go through less interest they have in using our product.

bye,
Vara Prasad