Re: stack trace changes

Thanks for working on this. See comments below...

Martin Hunt wrote:
I've checked in a rewrite of the stack trace code.  I rewrote i386 and
x86_64 only. ppc64 and ia64 should still work as before, unless I made
any errors while reorganizing the code.

I'll test on ppc64 after the build error is fixed in the ppc64 runtine (see bug 3051).

In 2.6.18 there is code to use DWARF to accurately unwind the stacks. The new code uses this if available, otherwise it falls back to the inaccurate unwinder. Some situations like kretprobe trampolines confuse the unwinder and it does what it can accurately then uses the inaccurate unwinder. In all cases, it now says when the trace in not accurate.

I tested print_backtrace on 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5 on x86_64. I now see a single line(as before) followed by "Inexact backtrace:" and then nothing. Is there no way to get additional stack info on x86_64 kernels earlier than 2.6.18? Just want to know what to expect.

I tested on 2.6.18 as well and it appears to work as you described.

Thanks again for your efforts.

- Mike