Re: Use of -Werror in systemtap Module Makefiles

Hi -

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 12:15:00PM -0700, David Wilder wrote:
> [...]
> >>/usr/local/share/systemtap/runtime/vsprintf.c:428: warning: frame size
> >>of '_stp_vsnprintf' is 256 bytes
> >>[...]
> >This actually looks good to know.  [...]

> I agree this is good to know, when we are in development. But what
> about the user that has no clues of the details?

Consider the alternative: a meaningful warning that developers didn't
encounter during testing.  Would you prefer that systemtap err on the
side of safety, or on the side of convenience?

> [...] But don't let the user find our dirt :)

I think this applies only if we can gather a much more thorough test
bank than we have managed to date.  If on the other hand we suspect
that there exist potentially dark corners, then I'd like to keep
e.g. assertion-checking on, conservative compilation on, and prepare
for future problem notifications.