RE: kallsyms_lookup_name not exported

On Tuesday, September 26, 2006 5:53 PM, fche@redhat.com wrote:
>> [...] The symbol is still exported in the main git tree...
>
> Not for long.
>
> Either we will need to reopen this issue on LKML, or the runtime will
> need to stop trying to use kallsyms* and instead rely in the symbol
> table provided by the systemtap translator.

From what I can see, we use kallsyms_lookup_name in a few places to
locate functions that aren't exported.  That's not behavior that good
kernel citizens should follow!  We're hooking __kernel_text_address and
kallsyms_lookup, so we can map an address back to a function name.  So
shouldn't we be asking for those exports instead?

We are trying to do legitimate things, and we could ask for the tools to
help us.  But right now we're using kallsyms_lookup_name to hack our way
into the kernel, and I don't blame anyone if that isn't well received.

Josh