Re: Systemtap for NFSv4

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 12:10:55 EDT, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 08:43 -0700, Gerrit Huizenga wrote:
> > Trond, Trond, Trond:  My answers are basically pfeh, Pfeh, and PFEH!
>
> "...Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of ELDERBERRIES!"
>        (Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail)

Heh heh - so you met my parents!  Kewl!

> > :)
> >
> > Comments interspersed...
>
> Ah, but you appear to be missing an important point. Tony was asking if
> we wanted to _replace_ the current set of dprintk()s with systemtap. I'm
> just saying that I'm not going to start throwing dprintks until we have
> a viable replacement. SystemTap is not (yet?) convincing as a candidate
> for that role.

I'm not convinced that I'm missing the point.  I think this is a
good question to start thinking about.  Ultimately, if you can do
the same thing (and more) with SystemTap than you can do with static
probe points, and all dprintk()'s are macro replaced with SystemTap
static probe points, you might have a try-before-you-buy and general
validation approach.  Not sure if that is completely feasible today
but might be a cheap option.

> Note: if we do want to replace dprintks with SystemTap, then I think
> that another precondition would be that we include the main systemtap
> debugging scripts in Linus' tree.

That has also been discussed - and I think that is a valid proposal.
Not sure what the current status is but if the SystemTap folks agree,
that is an easy discussion to start on LKML or with akpm.

gerrit