Re: Systemtap newb having trouble getting it to work

Scatman4 wrote:
> I've recently been in an attempt to get system tap to run on my Linux box.  I
> have fedora 5 with a kernel release version of 2.6.16-1.2122_FC5smp, and I
> installed kernel-debug-info (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5), kernel-devel
> (2.6.17-1.2157_FC5), the elfutils package (0.119.1.2.1) and systemtap
> (20060729).  I've tried to follow the instructions found at this link:
> http://sourceware.org/ml/systemtap/2006-q3/msg00125.html  as closely as I
> could.

kernel, kernel-devel, kernel-debuginfo - all have to be the same version.

> The part that I think might be causing the problem is, the instructions say
> to make sure that the kernel-devel and the kernel-debuginfo versions are the
> same as the kernel version, and on my machine they aren't, but I don't know
> how to make them the same.  I've tried yuming a specific version number
> (I.E. yum install kernel-devel-2.6.16-1.2122 or something like that) but yum

yum install kernel-devel (without the version name)

http://mirror.linux.duke.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/5/i386/debug/

> The actual error that I'm getting happens when I write the simple hello
> world script found on this link:
> http://sources.redhat.com/systemtap/tutorial/node2.html and try to run it
> just like they say to.  The error I receive is this:
> "Module directory /lib/modules/2.6.16-1.2122_FC5smp/build check failed:  No
> such filre or directory
> Make sure kernel devel is installed.

You have kernel-devel rpm installed, but for the wrong version of kernel.

> Pass 4:  compilation failed.  Try again with more verbose options."
>
> If anyone DOES think this is the problem, please tell me how to get the
> version numbers to match up, and which rpms I need to make sure are matched
> (all of them?).  If anyone thinks it's a different problem, please let me
> know what you think that problem may be, because I can't seem to figure this
> one out.

yum remove kernel-devel kernel-debuginfo then
yum install kernel-devel
download kernel-debuginfo rpm from the above link, install, and try again.

Eugene
--
eteo redhat.com  ph: +65 6490 4142  http://www.kernel.org/~eugeneteo
gpg fingerprint:  47B9 90F6 AE4A 9C51 37E0  D6E1 EA84 C6A2 58DF 8823