Re: user-space probes -- plan B from outer space

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

Hi -

Here is an outline of how systemtap might support user-space probes,
even in the absence of kernel-based user kprobes.  This is a "plan B"
only, a desperate stopgap until lkml sees the light.  Maybe "plan Z"
is more appropriate, considering the limitations I'm about to outline.

The idea is to support limited systemtap scripts that refer only to
user-space probe targets such as existing processes. These scripts
would be translated to a user-space probe program instead of a kernel
probe module.

Well another approach is similar to Ptrace actions you have predefined handlers that some one can activate through a new systemcall. This gives the ability execute simple handlers without a need for loading kernel modules. For those who wants to do complicated aggregations, correlation etc., you can load your own handlers through a module and activate them through the same systemcall. This gives the flexibility for power users and simplicity for regular users and we can get away from module loading/root permission issues for simple tracing.

Probes would be specified with a probe point syntax such as:

  user.process(233).statement(0xfeedface)
  user("fche").process("/bin/vi").function("*init*")

In my opinion user space probes is most useful in the case of server class kind of complicated programs which are usually long living, with that background i feel there is not much value with system wide tracing instead we should focus on process specific tracing. We could also allow users to start a program using systemtap so that we have a chance to place probes before running the process, this could be useful to track problems during the startup, and of course in this case no pid will be specified. I am not sure i see the value of process("process name") syntax if our focus is process specific tracing.

Instead of kprobes of a probe module, this probe program would use
ptrace to insert breakpoints into any target processes, perhaps using
code from RDA or GDB. Given the process-id or process name, systemtap
should be able to locate the necessary debugging information at
translation time. When probes are hit, the probe process would run
the compiled probe handlers in much the same way as now. Access to
$target vars should be possible. The runtime code would have to have
a new variant to use some user-level facility (plain pipes?) to
communicate with the front-end.

I am not sure i see lot of value of this solution compared to a gdb batch job, but for bit better performance than the heavy weight gdb.
I keep receiving complains from people that strace performance overhead makes it prohibitive to solve performance related problems and this is going to be even more slow than that so we have to keep that in mind as well.

Q: Wouldn't this be slow?
A: Oh yes, quite. Several ptrace context-switch round-trips per
probe hit. Lots more if we want to pull out target-side
state like $variables or stack backtraces.

Jim last week did a simple performance comparison of current uprobes solution vs strace solutions to track a process his results were strace was 16x slower than current in kernel handlers.

Q: What about concurrency?
A: You mean like probes concurrently hit in several target processes,
like SMP kprobes? If there was any indication that this was
worthwhile, then we could make the systemtap-generated probe
process be multi-threaded (one probe thread per target thread).

I would say it is probably not worth the complication instead one systemtap process can trace only one user process, so if one wants to track several process from several windows run several sessions of systemtap, i think this may be a good start than making complicated multithreaded stap.

Q: Any other limitations?