RE: probe hrtimer testing

On Tuesday, May 23, 2006 10:57 AM, William Cohen wrote:
> Looking over the test coverage results recently posted, one of the
> places that is lacking in testing is the probes for hrtimer. Josh,
> does anyone have some tests for that area of the translator? It would
> do a lot to improve the test coverage of tapsets.cxx.

The hrtimer is not tested because it's not complete.  I ran into a
problem with needing exported symbols from the kernel, and LKML rejected
my request.  So until support is added to the kernel ABI for using
hrtimers, the code I added will be unusable.

I checked it in as part of normal development, in hopes that the ABI
would get resolved.  Since hrtimers are still not exported, perhaps I
should remove the code.  Would it be sufficient for your coverage tests
if I just blocked out the code with "#ifdef ENABLE_HRTIMER"?

If anyone has an interest in seeing the hrtimers work in SystemTap,
please speak up.  If there's enough interest, then maybe we can go back
to LKML to try to get it enabled in the ABI.

Josh