Re: error: config systemtap-060401 under fedora5 !

Kevin Jia wrote:
# ./configure --with-elfutils=/usr/local/bin
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error:
C compiler cannot create executables

why?

This sound suspiciously like a problem that I ran across with a NCSU student when trying to setup systemtap on his machine last week. The executables in /usr/local/bin (ld etc.) do not work with the default gcc compiler. I would suggest removing those newly installed elfutils in /usr/local/bin. And using the configure method that Eugene Teo mentioned:

Actually, all you have to do is to download the latest elfutils
snapshot, patch it with elfutils-portability patch, and then point
--with-elfutils to the elfutils-NNNN directory.

-Will