02-16-2006 meeting minutes

Attendees
IBM - Jim, Vara, Hien, Maneesh, Prasanna, Ananth
Intel - Anil, Josh
Redhat - Will, Frank
Hitachi - Satoshi

oprofile -
Will and Vara agreed the we should start the discussion of getting
systemtap works with oprofile

LKML Watch -
Will posted a thread that happens matching with Nathan DeBardeleben's
work. Next week is Intel.

elfutils -
No new news yet, according Frank we are going to have some news in
couple weeks.

RHEL4 U3 -
Anil's patch to deal with pagefault handling (when kprobes is not
running) did not get into RHEL4 U3 kernel. However, it's just a small
impact.
Frank wanted kprobes to have three states -
	1) no kprobe.
	2) kprobes registered, but not running
	3) kprobes is running.
Anil will send out a patch to optimize the pagefault code path, and do
some performance analysis.
Prasanna said that we should watch for kgdb usage of notify, it is
possible kprobes breaks kgdb.

Fault handling - user space access-
Martin suggested kprobes fault handler should execute fix_exception() to
handle copy from user fault.
Prasanna is working on a patch to deal with fault handling (will include
Martin's suggestion), and post the patch next week.
Frank suggested that kprobes fault handler should do more of the general
cases too instead of just pagefault case as it does now.
Prasanna will look into Frank's suggestion.

OLS -
Couple papers got accepted, one from Redhat and one from IBM.
Congratulation!

Hugemem bug -
On RHEL4 U3 kernel 2.6.9-30,  Anil is working a patch and post it on the
buzilla. It is Redhat specific, we don't need the patch to go to the
mainline as of now.

bz 2294 NX protection fault on i686 SMP, Prasanna submitted a patch.

Satoshi brought up the Kprobes issue with PAE enable kernel. It is the
same issue as the hugemem bug Anil indicated above. It should be
addressed with Anil's patch.

Technologu Preview?-
When will systemtap ready for production environment? (not a Technology
Preview)
Frank said that when it's stable and safe. To reach that state we need
to do more stress testing, benchmarking etc...