Re: guidance needed building systemtap

peterzbach@comcast.net:

Where all the errors are of type:

cat ./testresults/semok-seventeen.stp.err
semantic error: cannot find module kernel debuginfo: No DWARF information found
semantic error: no match for probe point
         while: resolving probe point kernel.function("pipe_writev")
Pass 2: analysis failed.  Try again with '-v' (verbose) option.

I have checked the vmlinux version of the kernel, but I am lost when it comes to this debuginfo stuff. Knowing enough to be dangerous, I can recompile the kernel with different options, but I have never built a debug kernel, or really don't know what this "debuginfo" errors are about. Please advise.

Peter

If you install the kernel using rpm package, you should install the following: kernel.rpm, kernel-devel.rpm, kernel-debuginfo.rpm.

If you compile the kernel from source packages, then when you "make menuconfig", you should turn on "kprobe" support in the "Instrument" and "compile the kernel with debuginfo" in the "kernel hack".

The generated kernel debuginfo is located in /usr/src/linux-2.6.xx/vmlinux, you should copy it to /boot/vmlinux-SUFFIX, here SUFFIX should be 2.6.xx. You can refer to /usr/src/linux-2.6.xx/Makefile to find what it is.