Re: Evaluating SystemTap for Network Response Times

ndebard wrote:

> I guess I have some basic questions about ST.  For instance, I tried
> running the 'top2.stp' David Sperry included in the list and that
> gives me errors about resolving kernel.syscall.*.  [...]

The "kernel.syscall.*" probes are being slowly deprecated, replaced by
the "syscall.*" names.  They are defined in tapset/**/syscall*.stp
files, and should be installed nearby the stap binary.

> What really is a 'tapset'?  Is it just a collection of useful
> functions [...]

Yes, basically that: just a script in a search path.  It can define
auxiliary functions, globals, probe aliases: stuff to express
commonality or abstraction.  Also, a tapset is given "guru-mode"
privileges automatically.  (See the stap man page.)

> And when I look at David's output it doesn't look like he pointed at
> an include directory.  Just really confused.

The "-I" flag is used to extend the default tapset search path.  It is
analogous to the C -I flag, but does not actually accept C headers.