Re: MAXACTION exceeded error while using systemtap

Hi -

jamesd.wi wrote:

> [...]  perhaps you two, should look at how your neighbor DTrace
> deals with this issue. It seems to work pretty well.

Their situation is a little simpler because the language forbids
looping and recursion, so the individual handler run times are already
statically bounded.

> [...]  btw MAXACTION really can't work reliably what happens when
> the box is underload, say with 4 gigabit nics all being flooded with
> data, and you are probing a function in the fast path?

Yes, this is a good point.  A system-level watchdog would be useful.

> P.S. I would recomend the members of this list subscribe to the
> dtrace-discuss list on www.opensolaris.org, its a low traffic list,
> but they do discuss issues you will face as you proceed. I can
> assure that the dtrace programers monitor your mailing list.

Good point.  Welcome all, and feel free to delurk.