Linux Trace Toolkit Viewer

Hi!

I just assisted at the SystemTap OLS presentation. It looks like you guys might
be interesting into having a look at this vizualisation tool : LTTV. I have been
working on this project for two years at Montreal Polytechnique University with
other collaborators under the direction of Dr. Michel Dagenais.

Here is the website : http://ltt.polymtl.ca

It is a pluggable trace viewer, written in C, that abstracts all the trace
reading process into different sublayers, offering trace reading libraries
that helps any plugin writer to easily navigate in a trace. Plugins can be
either text or graphical (using GTK). Another key feature of this tool is to
provide the ability to navigate in huge traces (many GB of data) by using
appropriate algorithms.

It bases its events format on a XML description that comes along with the
trace. That makes the addition of new events quite easier.

It resumes to a few steps :
- create an XML description of the new event
- run the genevent tool to generate the actual instrumentation code
- use the generated header in the kernel

I am currently porting LTT to the new event format so that we have a complete
tracing toolchain.

I think that there could be a good opportunity to gain from Free Software
synergy here.

Mathieu Desnoyers
Master Student in Computer Engineering
Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal

OpenPGP public key:              http://krystal.dyndns.org:8080/key/compudj.gpg
Key fingerprint:     8CD5 52C3 8E3C 4140 715F  BA06 3F25 A8FE 3BAE 9A68