Re: variables in scopes

I agree with your statement that tapset authors would like familiar "C" syntax but end users who write the scripts would like a simpler script kind of language. I think this difference is understandable due to different needs.
I am not sure i understand what you mean by " we might sacrifice the convenience of C for something with better safety properties ". Are you suggesting a different language for end users if so what would that be and how it is going to achieve safety properties.

Chen, Brad wrote:

One conclusion I'd draw from Richard and Vara's comments
is that tapset authors would commonly reference kernel
data structures and so would want familiar C syntax, but script authors would not, and in that context we might sacrifice the convenience of C for something with better safety properties. Vara, Richard, do you agreee/disagree?

Brad

language. I think we should not forget that language role is to make

it

easy to get what we want out of kernel. If we make this as a full

blown

c language, then i see where little difference in writing systemtap
scripts vs kprobe modules.

Just my 2 cents.

bye,
Vara Prasad

Richard Moore wrote ...

Agreed. If one wants the write probes in C then why use an interpretive
form of C?
Surely one would write kernel modules that would call the kprobes KPIs
directly.