Re: kprobes problem

Roland McGrath wrote:
It sounds like there may be a generic bug with "ret" instructions.  These
are handled specially.  It would be best if you could construct a test
(e.g. write a test module that inserts kprobes on test code you provide in
that same module) where you can figure out exactly what happens when the
probe should be executing the return.  That is, where you know exactly
where you should have gone after that (perhaps you can do this by having
another probe at the proper return location), and ideally figure out where
you actually went instead (or if the problem is different from that
e.g. the stack contents being wrong).

I fail to see why you'd need a special test case for this, the simple code that I use attaches a kprobe to a known kernel function (tcp_ack originally), you know exactly where you need to return to. Or you can find another function that has only one caller.

I'm sorry but I can't invest the time to debug this myself, kprobes is not my core work, just a tool I'm trying to use.

I hope that my bug report is sufficient to help reproduce and fix this bug.

Baruch