Trouble adding additional CPU support

I have written a new processor description with cgen and I am trying to
update sid to incorporate the new processor.

I have perused the configure.* and Makefile.* files to understand what
changes I need to make in order have the new processor built.
Unfortunately I am not an expert in autoconf and automake and every time
I attempt to rebuild the configure/Makefiles I run into multiple issues.

1) I am not entirely sure which configure.* and Makefile.* need to be
updated to add a new processor.
2) Lack of understanding how to rebuild configure scripts and Makefiles

When trying to rebuild configure scripts and Makefiles it appears there
is a restriction and/or assumption on the particular version of the
tools that required. I have linux box with the latest version of Ubuntu
that I am using as my build machine. I have the following versions of
utilities.

aclocal 1.10.1
autoconf 2.61
automake 1.10.1
libtool   1.5.26

If I remove the restriction of autoconf 2.59 things and try to
regenerate the files I run into several build issues.

It would be very nice if I could use the latest versions of these
utilities to build. U just need the recipe to regenerate the proper
files to build.

Thanks in advance,

Steve