Re: SID Faq-O-Matic

Hi -

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 09:47:15AM -0400, Warhurst Brandon wrote:
> Where would I look if I wanted to make SID support straight binary code
> from actual target hardware (no source/obj/etc... available)?

You probably mean something like having sid run code from, say, an EPROM
image file (oops, dating myself here).  The easiest way to do this is
to get the memory modelling components to load (and optionally save)
their contents from/to an external file.  See "siddoc memory" for the
low-level configuration items that manage this behavior.

The perl-based sid front end (configrun-sid, aka "arm-elf-sid") uses
command line options to specify association with files.  Add a monster
"--memory-region" parameter like:
  % arm-elf-sid --memory-region=0xE000,0x1000,read-only,file=IMAGE ...
It arranges low-level sid configuration bits to load IMAGE into 4096
bytes of simulated memory starting at 0xE000.

Slight complications arise if you need to associate files provided
by default in the various configurations.

- FChE