Profiling

I'm trying to collect profile info on my ARM-based application. I followed
the directions on the SID web page regarding profiling. Basically, I added
the two options "--gprof" and  "--trace-counter" to the arm-elf-sid
invocation. I also created a .conf script. According to the SID
documentation, the two lines:

connect-pin main perform-activity -> gprof sample
connect-pin main stopping -> gprof store

should be in the .conf file. I tried the conf file with and without these
lines.

Now when I run the simulator (arm-elf-gdb which is built from the Insight
5.2 sources), connect to sid, simulate, and exit, the file gmon.out is
created. Cool.

Now when I run gprof:

$ gprof --flat-profile gmon.out

I get the error:

gprof: gmon.out: not in a.out format

Hmm. After reading the gprof docs, I added -pg to my CFLAGS options in my
make files. Unfortunately, there is no profile library with which I can
link. So my project doesn't build. Bummer.

Question: How *do* you profile? Do I need to build an arm-elf-gprof? Is
there some other gprof option I need to add? Did I misunderstand the SID
instructions?

Scott