Re: SID and eCos

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Ben Elliston wrote:

> Hi Scott,

>   Scott> After sending my previous message, I noticed that this is already part of
>   Scott> SID. (Perhaps though, the fancy graphics are missing). I also have 7
>   Scott> segment LED's http://www.dattalo.com/gnupic/7seg3.gif.
>
> Yep.
>
> A seven segment display component would be a nice introduction to
> using the SID API.  Please consider porting your component.  There is
> plenty of programmer documentation on the web pages.

I will look at it. (But like everyone else, I've got a lot going on - in
particular, I'm in the middle of porting SDCC to the PIC).

>   Scott> Oh and of course, I almost forgot, gpsim simulates almost every Microchip
>   Scott> PIC device; everything from the tiny 12-bit core devices, to the popular
>   Scott> 14-bit core devices, and the less used, but more powerful 16-bit core
>   Scott> devices. These are essentially modules too.
>
> These would be great to have in SID, if you're feeling like it!

This will be a little harder. :).

>   Scott> One of the goals for gpsim was speed. On my ancient 450Mhz PIII, gpsim can
>   Scott> simulate a PIC several times faster than real time. This was achieved by
>   Scott> creating an event-driven behavioral simulation model. In essence, the
>   Scott> simulator only simulates the things it needs to simulate. That sounds like
>
> In general, this is the philosophy of SID components: only simulate
> sufficiently for target software to execute correctly.

Sounds great, Ben! I'll continue to stay subscribed to this list (the
volume certainly is low) and keep track with what's going on. When the
SDCC port tapers off, I'll revisit more closely how gpsim could (if can)
be merged.

BTW, my interest in SID at the moment is to simulate an ARM processor -
so I'll definitely be a user.

Regards,
Scott