Re: modeling latency (fwd)

  Frank> BTW, regarding the proposed bus::status patch, it would be nice if you
  Frank> could find some way of ensuring/requesting that the compiler packs the
  Frank> struct into 4 bytes.  Maybe the g++ "enum foo : 16" extension, maybe
  Frank> something else.

I agree that packing the bus::status struct should be considered
important for performance, given that it is likely passed by value.

As you suggest, there is a g++ extension to help with this: packed
enums, but was never implemented.  I am testing a patch to correct
this and will hopefully submit it to gcc-patches@ this week.  It could
be quite some time before we can depend on its existence.

Ben