Tomcat Manifest

I developped a set of servlets, packaged into a single war (with a ".so"
library compiled with gcj).
When I try to install my war with tomcat from rhug, tomcat only expands files
where they are expected : to library ".so" is not expanded and other files I
placed in the war without asking me if there is a predefined place to put
them.
At the moment, the only way to install my pacakge is to use "unzip".
I am asking :
- do I need to configure a manifest.mf or a deployment descriptor in order to
have a correct installation ?
- if so, is there a document on the web which could indicate haw to create
such a file ?
- someone can explain simply how to do that?

Thanks,
Christophe