Re: xalan + javascript extension working

Alex wrote:
> It comes with its own snapshot of apache.oro.text.regex which
> differs from the one imported in rhug, though they might be merge-able
> (the diff is 79K.)

It's interesting that most of these bigger programs come with their own .jar
files of shared infrastructure (regexp stuff, xerces even).  Rather than rely
on the bundled jar files, I've chosen to integrate the original library distro
as a top-level package, which is why rhug contains java_cup and bcel (used by
xerces).  We should try to use the existing org.apache.oro if at all possible.

> jython might have to be modified as (as I understand it) spits out
> class files that we would prefer to compile.

My guess is that it works more like rhino and xalan, in that it produces
in-memory class definitions which it simply interprets, but can also produce
class files if you prefer to use them that way.  If this is the case then we
don't have to make any changes.

> I can give it a try if you want. I've been looking forward to running
> jython as it would provide us with an excellent opportunity to run
> loads non regression tests.

That would be cool.

AG