Re: problem with Configuring a Connection to a Database using VisualExplain

Fernando Nasser wrote:
Wei,

The client side (in this case JDBC) is not aware of how the server stores it's passwords. They are sent clear text with either 'password' or 'md5' -- they are stored encrypted in the server. If you need more
^^^^crypt
security and don't want clear text passwords on the network make the connection using SSL. The JDBC driver supports SSL connection for some time now.

Sorry, I was thinking of crypt. I forgot that we now have support for md5 and, of course, this means that the passwords may be encrypted before being sent over the wire. In which case you don't need SSL (if just for that).

But the detection if the JDBC driver has to send md5 or clear text passwords (for password _and_ crypt) is done automatically. The server tells the client how it wants the password. The client program always pass it to JDBC as clear text.

Please note that JDBC drivers before 7.3 had a bug in md5 password encription. I think it would only affect people with a different encoding in their locale, but to be in the safe side you should use drivers 7.3 on when using md5.

Your pg_hba file seems to be in a very old format (7.1.x perhaps). What versions of PostgreSQL and of the JDBC driver are you using?

Regards,
Fernando

--
Fernando Nasser