codeset problems in wprintf and wcsftime

Jeff Johnston jjohnstn@redhat.com
Wed Feb 24 21:17:00 GMT 2010

> On Feb 23 16:14, Jeff Johnston wrote:
>> On 20/02/10 10:59 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>> AFAICS, there are two possible approaches to fix this problem:
>>>
>>> - Store the charset not only for LC_CTYPE, but for each localization
>>>    category, and provide a function to request the charset.
>>>    This also requires to store the associated multibyte to widechar
>>>    conversion functions, obviously, and to call the correct functions
>>>    from wprintf and wcftime.
>>>
>>> - Redefine the locale data structs so that they contain multibyte and
>>>    widechar representations of all strings.  Use the multibyte strings
>>>    in the multibyte functions, the widechar strings in the widechar
>>>    functions.
>>>

>> This assumes that widechar representations from separate mbtowc
>> converters can be concatenated and be decoded by a single wctomb
>> converter.  Without this ability, the concatenated widechar string
>> derived is of no use to anybody unless they know where the charset
>> changes occur.
>>
>> IMO, this is "undefined behaviour".
>
> I don't understand.  The wide char representation is Unicode.  Why
> should it be a problem to use Unicode strings together, just because
> they are from different sources?  Even if wchar_t is UTF-16, as on
> Cygwin, the strings are complete.  There's no such thing as just one
> half of a surrogate.

So, you are saying if I use the mbtowc for EUC-JP in current newlib and
concatenate that to UTF-16 widechar output and add mbtowc output for
SJIS, a user can simply call wctomb() in newlib and have it pull it all
apart again?  This obviously won't work for the old eucjp and sjis
versions of mbtowc/wctomb that Cygwin doesn't currently use, but even
so, I still see 3 versions of wctomb (utf8, iso, and cp) that apply to
Cygwin inside wctomb_r.  Am I missing something?  How can one of these
functions handle all types of wchar input?

If one cannot take the concatenated string and pass it to a single
internal version of the wctomb() function (i.e. the user has to call 3
versions of wctomb for different charsets), then the user has to know
where each section begins in the full string which makes the end-result
of little use and thus not worth supporting.