Licensing Issues?

David A. Cobb superbiskit@home.com
Fri Sep 14 17:26:00 GMT 2001

Charles Wilson wrote:
> David A. Cobb wrote:
>
>> Would someone in the know please explain why there are licensing
>> issues between GLibC and Newlib?  Are they not both GPL?
>>

> Sigh.  this has been explained so many times I am surprised your search
> of the archives did not reveal it.  You *did* search the archives, right?
>
> Cygnus (now Red Hat) releases cygwin under two licenses: the GPL and a
> proprietary license.  People who purchase cygwin under the proprietary
> license are allowed to distribute cygwin-based binaries WITHOUT
> distributing their source code.  (You may not like this arrangement, but
> it's the way things are.  Besides, the proceeds pay Chris' and Corinna's
> and others' salaries...)

Yes, I knew that much.

> Anyway, ONLY the copyright owner of a particular work is allowed to
> establish the license terms.  If you take GPL code that you do not own,
> you can't change the license -- although the GPL gives you certain
> redistribution rights.

OK, one cannot simply "borrow" (steal) from it even when it's open.

> Since Red Hat needs to specify the license, they need to own the code.
> They don't own the glibc code.  Therefore they can't use it (as part of
> cygwin1.dll -- e.g. newlib)  [This also explains why everybody who
> contributes to cgywin1.dll must sign over copyright to Red Hat].

And glibc is, I presume, owned by FSF.

> --Chuck

Must one then observe "white room" conditions when developing, say, for
a piece to go into newlib & cgywin1?  That is, carefully avoid knowing
/anything/ about the glibc implementation?

To what extent may one legitimately learn from a free-speech program
without actually extracting code?  This is very much like an old
question about what, precisely, is copyrighted.  Once upon a time I knew
the answer - the exact program text.  But that was before the new
copyright laws and the days of software patents.

A library such as this must implement a very well-defined result; it
would be pretty surprising if two implementations did not have a great
deal in common.  Even short sequences, at least, of instructions are
very likely in both.

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate, All around
nice guy.