Existing Mauve tests

I have begun writing "acceptance" tests in Mauve as part of the GNU Classpath project.  There are existing test suites that do SEEM to have been written as part of a class library development activity, perhaps by the library class developer himself.  That is, there are lots of 'harness.debug' calls, and few 'harness.check' calls that directly map to class methods.

My question is: Is there a 'social protocol' for a tester to decide whether to replace (i.e, 'cvs rm') a test that is superseded by a newer, presumably more complete class test?  The answer to this question will guide how I proceed.
--
Daryl Lee
Marietta, GA