This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Mauve project.
Re: Array question
- To: Tom Tromey <tromey at redhat dot com>
- Subject: Re: Array question
- From: Patrick Doyle <doylep at eecg dot toronto dot edu>
- Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 21:18:17 -0400 (EDT)
- cc: Mauve Hackers <mauve-discuss at sourceware dot cygnus dot com>
On 1 Oct 2001, Tom Tromey wrote:
> I notice in the test for java.lang.reflect.Array you wrote a few tests
> which require that arrays have no more than 255 dimensions. Where is
> this limit specified? The only reference I could find suggests that
> this is a possible, but not required, limit.
It probably came from the fact that multianewarray has a 1-byte dimensions
field. However, I suppose there's no reason one couldn't create an array
with more dimensions, since the dimensions field only tells how many
dimensions should be initialized: it's the type signature that determines
how many dimensions there are overall.