simple tests

I'm seeking an opinion on how I might write a test for java.io.File
that actually tests everything.  I'm wondering specifically how well I
can test setting/getting last modified time on a given file without
verification from second program, and what to do about listRoots() as
well.  I think I can get around some of this by making assumptions
about the machine I run the test on, but that doesn't seem like the
right thing to do with respect to mauve.

Would it be useful to make a two pass harness of sorts... the first
pass could test development and the second could be from something
more stable (like the JDK) providing verification?

Brian
--
Brian Jones <cbj@gnu.org>