Re: FreeSwing, EvolutionAlgorythms

>work on it.  I certainly hope that the Kaffe group and Classpath can
>cooperate on a free Swing replacement in the future that will work
>with both both projects.

That would be highly appreciated. From my point of view, the problems with swing
are twofold:

 - it's terribly huge (2.500 classes/interfaces are a interesting
   interpretation of "lightweight" GUIs)

 - specified by means of implementation - since there are no stringent specs,
   you probably have to do a ton of blackbox testing (if you don't look into
   the sources, which I wouldn't). And of course the tested behavior can be
   changed easily (no specs).

Since Kaffe is mainly concerned about small footprint AWTs for embedded systems
(no peers, no native window system etc.), a swing implementation isn't our
topmost priority (swing *compatibility* of course is mandatory, and has been
done already). Hwever, I agree that it's useful to have such a free swing (to
eventually cope with the whole 1.2 class libs), and given it's size it would be
too big to be done alone (by kaffe or Classpath)

-- Peter

--
 Peter Mehlitz                         Tel:     +1 510 704 1527
 Transvirtual Technologies, Inc.,      Fax:     +1 510 704 1893