This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the libc-ports project.
Re: [PATCH] [AARCH64]: Pointer mangling support for Aarch64
- From: Will Newton <will dot newton at linaro dot org>
- To: Tom Tromey <tromey at redhat dot com>
- Cc: Marcus Shawcroft <marcus dot shawcroft at gmail dot com>, Venkataramanan Kumar <venkataramanan dot kumar at linaro dot org>, "libc-ports at sourceware dot org" <libc-ports at sourceware dot org>, Patch Tracking <patch at linaro dot org>
- Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 17:02:02 +0000
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] [AARCH64]: Pointer mangling support for Aarch64
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAJK_mQ0EoE+_JQvSL+5=C_+Q6JgsV8hvXipy8OgR8+GYyYgt3A at mail dot gmail dot com> <87iotxm15i dot fsf at fleche dot redhat dot com> <CAJK_mQ2isVSQgbARrRT6KYGODUyCgAavnD-TTYVYK7_bUjb6LQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAFqB+Pzt2X9tcqCyzSBn0XcT62c09VUYikUHdNB6iuvrB8poWg at mail dot gmail dot com> <87fvozhddn dot fsf at fleche dot redhat dot com> <CANu=Dmh7Pvbz0RUXB-hscjhnHOstZ4EwUhUxt7TVYbWvB-y3hQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <87txcyhabd dot fsf at fleche dot redhat dot com>
On 20 January 2014 16:44, Tom Tromey <email@example.com> wrote:
>>>>>> "Will" == Will Newton <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
> Will> Can you confirm that gdb does not use the longjmp_target probe? It
> Will> doesn't appear to use it as far as I can tell. Are you aware of what
> Will> consumers there are for this probe point?
> Yeah, gdb uses the "longjmp" probe, not "longjmp_target".
> I don't know what uses the latter; though it's worth noting that all
> probes are available to gdb and systemtap users, so I wouldn't
> necessarily know whether someone is using it.
It's not clear to me the difference between the two - they take the
same arguments as far as I can tell (longjmp arguments 1 and 2, and
the target PC) but longjmp_target occurs at some later point which
seems implementation dependant. For that reason I would propose new
ports (or ports lacking these probes entirely such as ARM) not
implement longjmp_target unless there is a compelling reason to do so.
Toolchain Working Group, Linaro