Re: Link extra-libs consistently with libc and ld.so

On Fri, 17 May 2013, Roland McGrath wrote:

> > No, tested with normal testsuite runs.  I don't expect everything to be
> > unchanged, given that various objects were previously linked
> > unconditionally with ld.so and after the patch have a --as-needed link
> > with ld.so (so some may not end up with a dependency on ld.so after all).
>
> I'd like to see at least verification that no actual code changed, and
> diffs of readelf -d output where it changed.

With the revised patch I'm currently testing, for an x86_64 build, the .so
files that change are libSegFault, libanl, libmemusage, libnss_db,
libpcprofile and librt.

For libanl, libmemusage and libnss_db, there are no code changes and the
only changes in readelf -d output are a reordering of DT_NEEDED entries.
For the others, an ld.so dependency disappears.  This reduces the size of
the dynamic section.  Lots of offsets change in code, probably as a result
of this, making comparisons hard.  See attached diffs of readelf -d and
objdump -d output.

For an i386 build, in addition to the changes described above the
DT_NEEDED entries for libm are also reordered (with, again, no code
changes).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com