Re: restoration of ia64

On Thursday 12 April 2012 19:06:20 Roland McGrath wrote:
> If you're signing up to be the ia64 maintainer, then we're all for it!
> There's a wiki page somewhere you should edit to state it.  If you don't
> want to be on the hook for keeping the code in decent shape in the future,
> then you don't get to put it in now.  We don't want any machines in there
> without someone responsible for keeping them up.

ugh, i figured you were going to say that.  i have a very limited familiarity
with ia64 assembly, but i guess a building+running arch is better than none at
all.  so i'll be the sucker until someone more knowledgeable volunteers.

certainly in Gentoo, we continue to support the ia64 port ...

> Aside from any nits related to moving from main to ports, the code was
> somewhat bit-rotted at the time and it's only missed more all-machines
> since then.  Also note there were some "canonical but non-generic" sources
> living in ia64 files with other machines #include'ing them from there.
> Those got moved to some other machine like x86_64 with the #include's using
> that now.  But I don't think ia64 was updated before it was removed, so
> from directly resurrecting the old sysdeps dirs into ports you will have
> some copies of now-main-tree files that should use #include instead.
> You'll have to look at the mail archives (probably of both lists) to find
> the details.

i'll start with the commit that deleted it and see about getting it building
from there.
-mike