Re: glibc on solaris

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 07:08 -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 12:42:49AM -0800, Amit Sharma wrote:
> > Also, if no one is already doing it, clould I get an
> > estimate on what might be the effort needed to get it
> > done.
>
> I think it worked once upon a time.  However, now it is extremely
> Linux specific; I think it would be a tremendously difficult project.

What's Linux specific about Glibc? Current versions have been ported and
are running on Hurd, FreeBSD and Syllable kernels in addition to Linux.
My patches for Glibc 2.4 on Syllable only run into a couple of hundred
lines, plus platform sources. There are some areas that occasionally
give me headaches I.e. requiring TLS support, but they are not
insurmountable.

I agree that it is difficult, certainly a lot of work, but not
impossible.

--
Vanders
http://www.syllable.org