Re: performance problems with linuxthreads on arm

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 05:29:56PM +0200, Peter Menzebach wrote:
It's nto a _great_ idea: this implementation is not quite atomic.  You
can find a description of the race in the libc-alpha archives;
mid-2004, I think.  However, it should work well enough in practice.
I saw, that the routine was quite long for an atomic operation. ;)

There are two other options. If your kernel is sufficiently new, you can use the kernel atomic operations helpers above 0xffff0000; I'll be posting patches in the next week or two for NPTL, and they'll require those.
I have 2.6.13, but it should be no problem to go to 2.6.14-rc3 if needed. Is there an NPTL version of the library already available?

Or, you can fix the bug in LinuxThreads that causes performance to be so lousy. I'm not completely sure, but I think the attached patch will fix it. Want to give it a try?
I will give it a try next week!

Daniel, thanks for your help!

Best regards
Peter