This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GNU libc locales project.
Re: [PATCH][BZ 18934] hu_HU: Fix multiple sorting bugs.
- From: Carlos O'Donell <carlos at redhat dot com>
- To: Egmont Koblinger <egmont at gmail dot com>, Luis Javier Merino <ninjalj at gmail dot com>
- Cc: libc-locales <libc-locales at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2017 08:27:47 -0500
- Subject: Re: [PATCH][BZ 18934] hu_HU: Fix multiple sorting bugs.
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAGWcZkLbhdJWRZLDKHXrHf2875pKLushYJon7YusGu=zhpO7mQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAGWcZkLsGUcfmw6X4VT7sWZX5juh5WFkJe=ChV+K2myjDmbuEA@mail.gmail.com> <20160421061349.GM5369@vapier.lan> <CAGWcZkK=UXGDEG6moxcyG9PJz4D=V=kVR6G1u=uhSFqgu+m+oA@mail.gmail.com> <CAGWcZkLyq8XJ5utRbZ6A58BhpdZdhrAi7m-TGa_W367ymKofirstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <CAGWcZkJ_m26UxF=+P7U-Kdw+6msvTE_e=TQNOt-_F1zihjheAQ@mail.gmail.com> <CABjvSdgNJRDUNBOExm9=Sgyydre4jLyV9hdp+6Z-kom-y9jKOw@mail.gmail.com> <CAGWcZk+iQCPg0uVw40Mh8TPzE+yus6j3X3S=gQHCeTBN+p2bUA@mail.gmail.com>
On 02/01/2017 07:04 PM, Egmont Koblinger wrote:
> Hi Luis, others,
> Nice inversigation from someone not speaking our language, thumbs up :)
I agree. I enjoyed reading both of your detailed discussions.
> (I'm not sure what ICU is and what's its relation to CLDR. Nevermind.)
ICU is "International Components for Unicode"
ICU provides a very thorough API for Unicode and globalization.
CLDR is "Unicode Common Locale Data Repository"
CLDR provides the data that is used by ICU implementations.
So in any given program you would link against the ICU library and
the manipulations you make are driven by the data from CLDR.
The goal with glibc locale data is to attempt to harmonize with CLDR
such that applications using ICU APIs and glibc APIs get as close to
the same results as possible.
It does users a disservice if Java and C are arbitrarily different
in this regard across the two most commonly used APIs for localization.