Re: Removing locale timezone information

> On Aug 6, 2015, at 7:52 PM, keld@keldix.com wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 05, 2015 at 11:28:34AM +0300, Marko Myllynen wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> I suggest that we polulate the locales and also follow the extended syntax
>>> of ISO TR 14652 and 30112.
>>
>> I don't think this would help anyone; applications are already using
>> other means than glibc locales to deal with timezones, it would be quite
>> an effort to populate those fields and in essence it would be just
>> duplicating the data from tzdata in glibc locales for no obvious
>> benefits. In addition, when timezones change, glibc maintainers would
>> need to update the locale files, distribution maintainers would need to
>> push out glibc updates, and system administrators would need to update
>> also glibc, not just tzdata, to have the updated timezone data in place.
>
> Well, we always need to update glibc with the current stuff, that is normal
> glibc maintenance.
>
> We always need to change locales if the backgrund data changes.
> For instance if Greece gets a new currency, we need to change that in our
> locales. I thing tz data changes are not very frequent, but I may be wrong.
> It has not changed for most of the European countries for many years.

U.S. Timezones has changed in the last ten years due to a few different things. One is an addition of a leap second. Another was to daylight savings time (summer time) start/end date. And then there was Indiana Timezone changes due to deciding to have daylight savings time.

Thanks,
Andrew