Re: Output of `locale -a` could be in mixed encodings?

Carlos O'Donell wrote:

Won't such a fix break existing applications relying on this alias
to operate correctly?

There shouldn't be any such applications. Applications are already on notice that they should not be relying on these obsolete aliases.

This bug is biting us now because recent versions of GNU grep are stricter about treating non-text input as binary. Existing applications that apply 'grep' to locale.alias may have problems if locale.alias is incompatible with the current locale's encoding. This suggests that locale.alias (including its comments) should be ASCII only.

What I need is a way to mark the locale deprecated, accept it as an
alias, but not display it in `locale -a`.

That would also be nice, though I expect it's lower priority. I assume that it could be done with an ASCII-only locale.alias, somehow.