Re: Output of `locale -a` could be in mixed encodings?

Carlos O'Donell wrote:
We should stop using aliases that are anything but ASCII to avoid
future problems.

Yes, that sounds right. If you comment out the "franÃais" and "bokmÃl" lines from locale.alias, I assume that fixes the problem? If so, let's do that. The fancier fixes you mention also sound nice, but omitting the non-ASCII aliases should be helpful anyway, for programs other than 'locale' itself.