Re: Talk about glibc locale format

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 08:22:48AM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 01:59:11AM +0200, Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> >
> > I think the few differences are: removal of LC_PAPER,
>
> I am confused: this section has just been added to my slides because you
> told that this section could have been mentioned, so why has it been
> dropped?

The situation is that LC_PAPER is supported in glibc, but it was removed
from 14652. I asked you to include it in your talk because I think it is
quite useful, and it is used in a number of packages, including cups.
As a user, I am quite happy that my printer is now automatically A4.
I would like that this facility be promoted. I dont care so much about
LC_TELEPHONE, LC_ADDRESS etc, as I have not found a use really for that
myself. Maybe this would be handy in things like evolution and skype,
for address books, but I use a text based mail agent, mutt.

Why is LC_PAPER not in 14652? Well, 14652 is a result of a compromise
process, and the majority wanted LC_PAPER to go out.

> > removal of ..(2)..
>
> This looks unfortunate too, it was used in GNU libc implementation.

Maybe it should then be reintroduced. It was removed as part of the same compromise
process as for LC_PAPER.

> I will leave tomorrow to Helsinki for a week, and will continue this
> thread when coming back, I have other questions about ISO 14652 ;)

Good! Have a nice meeting in Helsinki and I hope you have some fruitful
discussions. And I would also be intereseted in discussing 14652 and
other i18n issues afterwards.

best regards
keld