Re: Collating bug with period?

Danilo Segan <dsegan@gmx.net> writes:

> Of course, if there are any problems they are in the inscalability of
> POSIX locale system, not in any particular application making use of
> it.

Arguably, the POSIX standard may be too inflexible, but it is still
the applications that the users see that have the problem.

> Whatever you're thinking of is simply a special case of the more
> general problem, and it needs a more general solution (like having
> LC_FILENAME_COLLATE).  Though, I don't think this is necessary, since
> you either prefer the dictionary collation, or you don't.

But you could split filenames into basenames and extension, and sort
the basenames separately using dictionary order, couldn't you?

The only problem is whether it is safe or not to split the filename
according to a dot in all locales. I can't think of any Western
languages where this would be a problem. Do other scripts use the dot,
too?

The dot already has a special meaning when it is the first character
in the filename.

--
Ole Laursen
http://www.cs.aau.dk/~olau/