Re: building every released version of GCC starting with 4.1.2, with appropriate matching glibc

On 06/04/17 23:22, Paul Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-04-06 at 22:58 +0200, Toebs Douglass wrote:
>> I wish to compile the library, the test application and the benchmark
>> application on every released version of GCC, starting with version
>> 4.1.2, using the appropriate glibc.
>
> Can you describe what you mean by "the appropriate glibc"?  There's no
> direct relationship between the versions of glibc and GCC, for the most
> part.

I inspected the release archives of gcc, binutils, glibc, libmpfr,
libgmp and libmpc and ascertained their release dates, either from the
archive date or in the cases where the archive date was wrong, from the
files inside the archive.

Now, I may be wrong, but it seems to me when a new GCC is being
released, it will be compiled for sure with the most recently published
glibc, libmpfr, libgmp and libmpc.  Similarly, it will be created with
the most recently release binutils.

These versions then I thought would be the "appropriate" versions, for a
given GCC.

> It's not clear to me why a suite of lock-free data structures would
> care about which version of glibc was being used for test; do these
> implementations depend on glibc functions in some way?

That is a good question.

The library itself does not use even a freestanding implementation; it
compiles on a bare C compiler.

However, the benchmark app also benchmarks normal locking data
structures, as provided by the OS.  For Linux, all the usual suspects.
I assume - but I do not *actually* know, now I think about it to answer
the question - that these will depend, directly or indirectly, upon glibc.