Help with prlimit

Hello all,
  prlimit used with RLIMIT_CPU sends SIGXCPU to the process whose pid
was mentioned as an argument (subprocess). I would like it if the
parent process were the one who received the SIGXCPU or any other
custom signal, then the parent process can decide what to do with that
subprocess. Like it can suspend it or kill it, things like that. To
create such a function what part of the code-base should I read or
work on? I don't have control over what subprocess I'm going to run so
I want to give a couple of subprocess a fixed equal amount of time for
execution. I believe I have to hack on with prlimit to achieve this.
Thanks in advance.

Vasantha Ganesh K.