Re: Hash Function Availability (sha / md5)

On 11/04/2016 02:11 AM, Patrick Herbst wrote:
The glibc crypt function uses sha and/or md5, but it doesn't appear
these routines are in a published header for application programming.

That's the intent, yes.

Am I wrong on this?  Are there headers/libraries that are part of
glibc that offer these hash functions natively?

If not, why?

The hash functions are an internal implementation detail. The implementations we have today are not optimized and do not use hardware acceleration (except on sparc64).

I know that there is no compelling or canonical source of hash functions right now. All existing cryptographic libraries are weird in some way, perhaps with the exception of GNUTLS (but it's way too large if you just need a hash function).

Thanks,
Florian