Re: GLIBC API documentation sources

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 2:47 AM, Warlich, Christof
<christof.warlich@siemens.com> wrote:
> I cannot find any sources of the GLIBC API documentation within the glibc
> Git repository: There are just a few .texi files in glibc/manual that seem to
> address more general topics, but where are the API man pages, e.g. for
> open() or pthread_create(), to give a few random examples? Is the GLIBC
> API documentation really maintained separately from the GLIBC source code?
> Why?

The texinfo documentation is the canonical documentation for all the
glibc interfaces. It is written in a "book" style with the intent to
teach users how to use the interfaces and discuss their application.

In collaboration with the linux man pages project, run by Michael
Kerrisk, the community also contributes and maintains man pages for
many of hte glibc interfaces. Those can be found in the git repository
for the linux man pages project.

Neither of these sources of information is 100% complete, and we are
always looking for people to help make it more so. In particular we'd
like to explore interface documentation at the source level.

In addition to these you have the Opengroup POSIX documentation
(online), and the ISO C11 standard (available from wg14 for review),
which cover a large portion of the standards that glibc strives to
adhere to.

I hope that answers your question.