strtod thousands separator

Hi,
I noticed that the function __strtod_internal has a 'group' parameter
to accept correctly grouped strings with thousands separators from the
user's locale. But strtod calls __strtod_internal with group=0, so it
always disables this feature.

What is the rationale here ?

If thousands separator handling is needed, is the correct way to use
the feature to copy/paste the declaration of __strtod_internal because
it's not in headers and call it directly with group=1 ?

I understand __strtod_internal is, well, internal, but does it mean
"call it, it will work with future glibc versions, but give up
portability across different libc implementations", or does it mean
"never touch it, we might remove it at any time".

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Jon