Re: Question: short-read while loading .so file

On 09/06/15 19:03, ISHIKAWA,chiaki wrote:
I asked the following question to binutils mailing list first
and was advised to post it to libc-alpha. I misunderstood that dynamic
Here it goes. The behavior was observed under Debian GNU/Linux.
(...)
While testing how mozilla thunderbird handles "short read", i.e.,
a |read| system call that returns prematurely without returning all the
octets (subsequent |read|(s) will return the octets eventually),

(...)
BTW, such "short read" can occur with remote file system when there is a
network issue, etc. Usually, local file system does not cause "short
read", but once we go across the net, anything can happen.)

Note that Linux kernel guarantees that you won't receive a partial read for a "normal" file (although a custom filesystem could return that, as you point out), so an application developer might claim that such environment isn't supported.
See http://yarchive.net/comp/linux/wakekill.html#4